| Intro to graphing. No frills. Kids figured out how to define all the vocab with pictures, and had fun comparing each group's ideas and finding the one that made the most sense to them! |
Sometimes all it takes is one question, silly though it may be. I had a whole 7th grade class stumped last week wondering why hot dogs are sold in 10's and buns in 8's, and it turned into a discussion on greatest common factor and least common multiple, and why you don't always need the process if you just use your brain. I admire all the teachers that create applets and games and dynamic activities, but I'm also much more accepting this year of the fact that sometimes I just need to be with and around the kids, talking and working through the problems instead of trying to be an entertainer and make them try to experience everything in a new and unique way.
Old and boring is okay. Using the textbook's worksheets every now and again won't kill the students. They are still learning.
Some of the teachers I've been following on Twitter lately have been down. I want to share a few fun moments with you all. These kids have been reminding me why I wanted to teach - to give kids a positive example to look up to and a love of math (even if it is a little boring sometimes).
I love my job, and my students. Even the days I complain, something happens that reminds me why I do what I do. Whether it is the kid that came in one morning shouting, "Look Miss W! I got you a Cardinals cape!" or the parent that I meet for the first time that says, "So YOU'RE the teacher that my daughter talks about all the time." Things are not all sunshine and daisies, but there is always another day with these kids to bring you back from the bad moments. Kids are pretty cool when you let them show their true colors.
Kids like leaving random notes on my desk/calendar when I'm not looking. |
| Good thing the month was over! |
| I have no idea where this came from. Seeing the name 'Boog' made me think of Brendan Ryan though. :) |
| My future wedding pictures according to a 6th grader. I was digging it until she put color. Purple? Also, that guy has man-liner on. Just sayin. |
No comments:
Post a Comment