Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 171 - Form Means Nothing

Deal with it - I'm in a musing moment here. I know bowling. I understand the form, I can teach it, I can do it. I had a terrible two games - probably the worst I've bowled in a few years. I knew what I was doing wrong, and I had the form, but it was just... wrong.

How often do I do this to students? They see the form, can mimic the form, and still be doing things... wrong. Then when they ask a question and I'm looking over it, they get frustrated because they have followed the pattern, and don't know what they're doing wrong.

Just another reminder of my goal for next year - move more towards discovery and away from just getting to the point where they see a quick pattern to memorize long enough to pass the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment