I'll be honest: I fidget. When I was student teaching last year I had to video myself and then watch/critique how I did as a teacher. I watched myself twirl my ID lanyard around in my hand for 45 minutes while I taught a lesson on graphing inequalities. It was so horrifying to have to subject myself (not to mention my students) to that weirdness that I quit wearing my ID altogether the very next day.
This year, some of my 7th graders have been noting how much I play with my jewelry. No matter what it is - necklace, bracelet, watch or rings - I will find a way to play with it. Yesterday they were so distracted by my bracelet I took it and my watch off mid-lesson and placed them on the podium, all while I continued teaching about the difference between a regular and irregular polygon. Today I didn't waste time - if they're going to be distracted I'll just take it off before I start teaching, then put it back on at the end of class. It sounds insane, but I don't notice my fidgeting and they do. Removing distractions is a must for them, and if it means no jewelery, I'll do it.
you fidget?! Hee-hee-hee! (I'm laughing WITH you!) hahahaha :)
ReplyDelete