
Since I had friends in town for CIT, I had to show them a bit of Racine. If they'd been here in the summer I would've said that we had to go to the beach, but it turns out winter is a fun time to go as well! I parked and we started walking out towards the water. After awhile I realized that we should have hit the end of the sand (which was buried under a light layer of snow from the morning) and realized that in about 5 steps was indeed the end of the beach and the beginning of what should have been a lake.
If you caught my picture from last weekend of the beach in the winter, I wondered what the large mounds of snow at the edge of the shoreline would look like up close. I realize now that this is not snow, nor is it on the beach. We actually walked out about 20-30 feet on to Lake Michigan... on ice. It was hilarious as we were falling all over the place, but climbing over waves of ice to make it to the edge of these mini-mountains was worth it. The view was breath-taking!
be careful!!! Isn't that dangerous???
ReplyDeleteEverything to the right side of this picture was at least a foot thick, so we were completely safe walking on it. The left side was the edge of the 'water,' or a much thinner layer of ice that we were not going to even consider walking on. Don't worry, we were gauging the thickness of the ice all the way. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, that is incredible! The photo is amazing, so I can only imagine how much better it looked in person.
ReplyDelete