If you want to hear the biggest joke ever, it would be the mere fact that I teach art. My art teachers in school were so mean that I would work my butt off, show the teacher my project, and I would get LAUGHED AT. "Hehe! That's... hoo... that's your project? Ha... I mean... hehe... I'm not laughing... *whew* at you per se, but... that's your project? Are you... hehe... finished with it?"
I know I had at least three different art teachers growing up. I don't remember the first one, but the last two made me cry with their cruelty. I appreciate art, but I loathe art teachers that get that 'holier than thou' type look in their eye. They scare me with their presence.
That said, seeing as how I'm obviously not an artist myself, I try to come up with projects that I myself can actually explain and (attempt to) demonstrate. Best project so far was definitely the typography/music video project. This one is quickly moving into second place - tessellations. Some of my 'best' ideas for art have fallen flat, and projects I was hoping would take 3 weeks took roughly 3 minutes before the kids were done. This one was one I figured they would be over and done with in less than a day, and we're going on week 3. I gave them a couple options (the bird came out of the math book - yes!) but challenged them to create their own, which has actually been pretty cool.
I love when kids don't realize that they're doing math. I said that to a student once and he looked at me and said, 'You're the trickiest teacher I've ever seen.' I took that as a compliment. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment