8th graders started the junk mail project this week. Here's two of them weighing and calculating distance traveled on their mail. I think the parents like this project a lot because in the end I'm doing their recycling for them! :)
The class was not very pleased that I was actually going to 'make' them do this data chapter, because they haven't really done it the past years, due to previous teachers not making it a priority or finding importance in it. Part of me is sad that they're a bit behind on this topic, but it's been really good for them learning-wise, because it's almost all new information, and they're really being pushed to do some reasoning instead of just following the pattern. The section we did yesterday didn't feel like it was going to be exciting, and it turned out to be the best discussion we've had all year (in math class at least)! Happy accidents!
No comments:
Post a Comment