Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 66 - It Could Be Worse


2 years ago I spent the summer in Seward. I was subletting from a friend who went home to Texas for the summer, and we were in this cute house that was working out great for the 3 of us that were living there. One night one of my roommates and I were sitting in the living room watching tv, and felt an earthquake that included the kind of sound effects you hear on tv when buildings crash. Here's an fyi - those are real sounds. The south wall in the basement just collapsed right into the rest of the house!

The top picture shows what the side of our house looked like during 'construction.' The bottom is the one to check out. When the wall fell, it not only left a 3' high by 25' wide hole in the side of the house, it collapsed on our shower (that's the left side of the picture), the washer and dryer (that would be the dryer exhaust hose in the middle of the picture) and a few random things we had stored in the basement.

A lot of drama happened over the next month, but the short story is we went 3ish weeks without a shower (thankfully I worked on campus and could get us in to the dorms to shower) or laundry facilities. It took over 2 weeks to fix the wall, so we left every day just hoping that no one would walk in and take everything through the gaping hole on the side of the house (not to mention my fear that an animal would crawl in from the woods in back of the property). On top of all that, the first 5 days after the wall fell there were tornadoes in the area. We watched them from the front porch, figuring it was just as safe as the basement at that point.

My point is, throughout all the insanity of the past week for me, I've lived through worse housing situations. I'll survive.

2 comments:

  1. Oh MY!!!!! That is horrendous!!!! You and your housing catastrophes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I'm so glad you can look back at this and think "it could be worse." I still look back and laugh. Besides the initial fear that the roof was falling down on top of us, I have found this situation funny. Similarly, i took a sitch on Friday that could have traumatized me and looked at it like it was funny, instead: i flashed a guy when the wind got my skirt on Friday. :) Those moments in life just make it more interesting. Falling houses, flying skirts. If it doesn't kill you (or injure greatly) it's alright.

    ReplyDelete