Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 69 - Eat a Cake (3.14)

I know, I know, Pi Day isn't until Sunday. However, I (thankfully) am not in school on Sunday, and today was Parent Day. It's kind of pointless having regular classes, because the parents didn't want to sit there and listen to a lesson on adding decimals, experimental probability, beginning volume, etc...

I about lost my mind looking for something for 7th grade. Nothing was working. I eventually settled on Pi Day activities, and even though I had piles of resources from my fabulous PLN, nothing was working. It either required tons of prep that I obviously didn't have time for, or a pile of materials that I obviously didn't have time to get.

This gem came in a list (I apologize for not having the link - it was so late last night...) of ideas, most of which I had already read about, but it's simple and quick - here's what you do:
  • Give the kids a list of the digits of pi. I think I gave the kids the first 200.
  • Have them write a story (what? interdisciplinary learning? sweet!) using words that have the same number of letters as the digit of pi they're at. So the first word has 3 letters, the second has 1, the third has 4, etc.
  • Hilarity ensues. I've never been asked for so many 9-letter words in my life!
The parents thought this was hysterical while they were helping their students write stories. My favorite story of the class: Mat, I have a small alligator in Racine. Aaron was eaten terribly. Crocodile hunters eliminate men in the playoffs. Evil. Tanner is faster than the big monkeys! Pie is awesome. Breakfast makes us happier.

So... I didn't say the stories would make sense. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment