Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 121 - Identity Crisis

I wanted to wear one of my twitter t-shirts today, since Saturdays are about the only day all week where I even put a t-shirt on anymore (my PE persona is saddened by this as well). So I pulled the two shirts out... and couldn't decide which one to wear. It became this insane identity crisis, where I felt like I would be betraying one of my two 'groups' on twitter by picking one over the other. I never have an issue deciding what to wear, but this felt like a monumental moment that is one of those things where no one in the world knows what's happening except you, and you know that, but you still feel like life as you know it will change because of this one insignificant choice.

Today I bought an iPod touch, partially because I hate my current, scratched up and barely working mp3 player, and partly because I've been going crazy thinking about being completely disconnected from the world while in DC in a couple weeks. My old mp3 player survived 4ish years, including trips to Canada, Biloxi, Colorado, California, and Ecuador. Lately it's held residence in my purse, and my keys took a beating on it, to the point where I can barely read the screen. So, armed with that fact and some of the money from my tax returns, I started price shopping last night, and snagged a new touch from Best Buy this morning. I'm sure you can guess how productive I've been today. Right - not at all.

I tell you that story to defend my choice (as if you were going to argue with me). During the week, I 'dress for success,' firmly believing that when I don't look professional, it's harder to act professional, especially at work. So I went for the math shirt. Why? First of all, I ended up at 3 different stores tracking down what I wanted. I had to deal with 5 different salespeople, and felt that, for whatever reason, they would respect someone looking for electronics wearing a math shirt more than a Cardinals shirt. I do live in enemy territory, after all. While I was in the first store, a man looked at my shirt and said, 'Not even with physicists?' He was a pharmacist. Because that makes sense.

Is this the stupidest story you've ever heard? I wouldn't doubt that. My mind is a weird place some days.

2 comments:

  1. You are hilarious!!! ....I would have worn the other one! #stlcards :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I not surprised? ;)
    So we're going to match when we meet up in August, right?!

    ReplyDelete